Tuesday, April 13, 2010

http://www.unix.com/unix-advanced-expert-users/46140-etc-mnttab-zero-length-i-have-done-silly-thing.html

Exclamation /etc/mnttab is zero length - I have done a silly thing
Being the clever-clogs that I am, I have managed to clobber the contents of /etc/mnttab.

It started when I tried to unmount all the volumes in a prticular veritas disk group and neglected to include a suitable grep in my command line, thus attempting to unmount _all_ the filesystems on the server (for loop).

They all came back with a fs busy message so I was presuming no harm done. However, a df to check all was in order came back with no results, likewise running mount.

When I went to look in the mnttab itself I find it's zero length !?!

Everything appears ok in that the filesystems are still actually mounted and read/write.

If I try a mount or umount I get the message
"mount: Inappropriate ioctl for device"

I suspect a reboot would sort me out but that's a big hammer and I'd rather get to the bottom of it.

What have I done and how in the world do I fix it?

Running solaris 10 on a T2000, fairly recent patches applied. Bugger all running aside from base OS and SAN kit.

=================
I understand that /etc/mnttab is actually implemented as a screwy filesystem itself on Solaris. I read somewhere that:

umount /etc/mnttab
mount -F mntfs mnttab /etc/mnttab

might rebuild it. But I have never tried it. I guess you get to run the experiment.
=================

No comments: